Job Title: Controller
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
THE MISSION OF WESTERN ALLIED
The mission of Western Allied Mechanical is to design, build, and maintain high quality and efficient HVAC systems, attract and develop our industry’s finest talent, and build enduring business relationships.
Plans, organizes, directs, and monitors all accounting operations in support of the mission, vision, policies, goals, and objectives of Western Allied.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Essential duties and responsibilites include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Is accountable for the overall, day-to-day, integrity of the Western Allied reporting and financial statements.
- Provides timely and accurate financial information to the company monthly, both for internal and external purposes.
- Maximizes the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting department and fosters effective interdepartmental continuity and relations.
- Establishes policies and procedures for processes of the accounting department and assists in doing the same for all departments in the company.
- Coordinates the activities of payroll, accounts payable, purchasing, accounts receivable, and job costing from other departments to ensure proactive planning and communication between these activities.
- Reports to the Chief Financial Officer on a regular basis and receives direction regarding the financial performance and key operating issues of the company.
- Ensures the integrity of the internal books and financial reporting.
- Responsible for establishing and tracking company operational budgets.
- Executes 12 month detail revenue, profit, and cash flow forecasting.
- Tracks fixed assets, produces depreciation schedules, and records related entries in the G/L.
- Supervises and directs AR adjustments, bank reconciliations, union reporting, bank deposits, job allocations, job cost adjustments, etc. executed by other staff members.
- Prepares the short term and long-range plans for the accounting department and personnel including training, systems, personnel requirements, etc.
- Provides go-to Dexter and Chaney Spectrum Accounting Software expertise for Finance as well as the rest of the company.
- Prepares schedules and documentation for auditors as needed.
- Keeps job descriptions current and understood for all employees under direct supervision. Ensures that the responsibility, authority, and accountability of all direct reports is defined, documented, and understood.
- Ensures that all organization activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations/standards governing accounting operations.
- Develops and implements procedures and processes to promote communication and information flow throughout the company.
Manages the Accounting Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; and three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Commercial construction industry experience required. CPA certification preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
In-depth knowledge of accounting software required. Advanced skills in MS Office required. Knowledge of Crystal Reports desirable. Dexter and Chaney Spectrum accounting software experience preferred.